Wednesday, May 28, 2014

5 Things I want a scientist to invent for me

Pretty weird! Since days of my girlhood, I wanted some things to be invented. As I grew, my lists went longer.

  1. When I was in school, ball pens were not allowed, mainly for examinations. We used to write with fountain pens with Chelpark ink. I liked ink bottles, and used to collect empty ones.  As a little girl, I always wanted a dropper to collect colors from the rainbow in those bottles. A dropper to collect colors from the rainbow, yes that was my wish number one.
  2. During afternoons, I always wanted to catch hold of sun light coming through the window or ventilator or from any other route into the room. I am sure most of the kids do so, even my son used to try catching the sun light. I loved it when the sun rays made light and shade designs on the wall. I always thought of catching the sun beam in my fist and making beautiful patterns of light when the lights were gone.
  3. And then I wanted something to help me make patterns of my choice with the white clouds in the blue sky…that even now I wish I could! Bangalore sky makes that wish even stronger! I love the crystal blue of Bangalore sky!
  4. Then again, I always wanted to have wings grown on my back. I wanted to fly to far away places, unexplored jungles, deserts, mountains, civilizations without needing passport, visa and money. May be that’s why Superman remained my favorite super hero and I dreamed of flying with him, side by side… :P I dream of flying even now… this is the most common wish in every human being.
  5. Then when I grew up, I hated text books but loved all kind of books out of the syllabus. I wanted to read; read and read whatever comes on my way….I had (have) omnivorous appetite for books. But then I was allowed to read only after completing my school/college studies, which took away so much time (not because I read all day, but because I could not concentrate, so routine studies remained incomplete). Then I started wishing for some kind of technicalities which would help me read while sleeping, like eyes closed, and the book’s alphabets appear as dreams in my head, and I read peacefully. I secretly nurture this wish even now.


Somehow I feel, this wishes have more to do with magic. I love fairy tales, secretly believe that somewhere there is a magic land where fairies rule and ride unicorns. Where rock castles float in the air, fountains flow down to earth from those, and rivers automatically make way for the passer by. Where glittering jungle has a queen protector and tree wizard help her save the land from outsiders. Where music fairies sing in joy and birds join in to turn it into a concert. And I know a secret way …I am the Alice of that wonderland...

 I think, in everyone, there is part which believes in magic and a magic land. At least a wish, if only there was one, a magic land where everything was fair and true and good. This wish or belief, whatever you name it, means that there is still hope, that flickers when challenged by wind of life’s hardship, but never is blew out. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice write up. Though all these defy logic and principles of science, still this whole write up very nicely depicts some thoughts which go through minds of little kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Partha! Yes, there's a little kid in me which remains.

      Delete
  2. Very nice write-up. Reading these reminds me of Taare Zameen Par, Ishaan's bedroom and his dreamland. I guess that's what defines the inner freedom, making a dreamland and cherish the lived moments ever after. I specially like in living in such illusive world in my private time, since many years I had origami swans flying over an alpine lake of a picture book, while peacocks dance and frogs shout in the meadows and a swallow stands by the bank of the picturesque lake.

    Now I don't feel a single one unscientific, like I cannot drag beautiful swans out of an Alpine lake which was 10 mins biking distance where I used to live, but I can miniaturize according to my wish and with a slightly different interpretation I'm done in an illusive theme world :)

    For instance, answer to 1) is : paint one wall as sunset in rain and the opposite wall with a rainbow whose every bow is a transparent pipe containing colours ordered in vibgyor which is easy to make. Get your easel and you're all set to catch your dreams.
    2) this is the simple mechanism how a camera captures a picture :) so either you capture the patterns with a camera, develop and stick to different upper portion of wall, else buy a kaleidoscope and light a bulb to look into it in night, when sun is off. Or even better you can buy monochromatic laser and then you can make patterns on origami folds. I for instance was very particular about designing of lights and thankfully I've been appreciated mostly for those designs.
    3) paint the ceiling with ocean blue and scattered clouds,
    4) if you get a kind of hall, you can paint it like flattened world, having newyork, paris, mumbai, tokyo etc sequentially on walls and a transition via origami swans. Then you stand on one toe and roll, and you've roamed the world like flying in a fraction of minute, 5) you cannot read but can dream of a new sequence of stories by imagining of characters that'll come automatically, only thing is to have dreams you cannot afford a sound sleep so set an alarm at 4 am and the next at 8 am. These 4 hours in enough for you to come up with a new and amazing story.

    See.... I knew I'm perfect, don't remind me that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're amazing!

      Keeping a record of your suggestions. I'll try these in some point of my life for sure!!! :D

      And your last suggestion, that I already do.... it's not that scientific but imaginative! Well, science will be impossible without imagination. :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks!

    About the last one, I think dreams are a reflection of the mind, all the scattered infomation stored in head that a conscious mind cannot see. So whatever dream comes is somewhat related to all the informations gathered in head acquired through our organs. While I see reading as something new phenomena, those informations aren't stored in our head. We are amazed sometimes reading certain books as we had never thought that could be possible! Unfortunately dreams can't imagine (unsure though, I'm lazy to search in google), hence reading in sleep practically makes no sense.

    And yes, necessity is the mother of invention and science is that magical wand that bridges the gap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will wait for a magical wand to bridge that gap....may be in my life time. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for submitting a comment! Please visit more often and share your thoughts. :)