Pretty weird! Since days of my girlhood, I wanted some things to be invented. As I grew, my lists went longer.
- When I was in school, ball pens were not allowed, mainly for examinations. We used to write with fountain pens with Chelpark ink. I liked ink bottles, and used to collect empty ones. As a little girl, I always wanted a dropper to collect colors from the rainbow in those bottles. A dropper to collect colors from the rainbow, yes that was my wish number one.
- During afternoons, I always wanted to catch hold of sun light coming through the window or ventilator or from any other route into the room. I am sure most of the kids do so, even my son used to try catching the sun light. I loved it when the sun rays made light and shade designs on the wall. I always thought of catching the sun beam in my fist and making beautiful patterns of light when the lights were gone.
- And then I wanted something to help me make patterns of my choice with the white clouds in the blue sky…that even now I wish I could! Bangalore sky makes that wish even stronger! I love the crystal blue of Bangalore sky!
- Then again, I always wanted to have wings grown on my back. I wanted to fly to far away places, unexplored jungles, deserts, mountains, civilizations without needing passport, visa and money. May be that’s why Superman remained my favorite super hero and I dreamed of flying with him, side by side… :P I dream of flying even now… this is the most common wish in every human being.
- Then when I grew up, I hated text books but loved all kind of books out of the syllabus. I wanted to read; read and read whatever comes on my way….I had (have) omnivorous appetite for books. But then I was allowed to read only after completing my school/college studies, which took away so much time (not because I read all day, but because I could not concentrate, so routine studies remained incomplete). Then I started wishing for some kind of technicalities which would help me read while sleeping, like eyes closed, and the book’s alphabets appear as dreams in my head, and I read peacefully. I secretly nurture this wish even now.
Somehow I feel, this wishes have more to do with magic. I love fairy tales, secretly believe that somewhere there is a magic land where fairies rule and ride unicorns. Where rock castles float in the air, fountains flow down to earth from those, and rivers automatically make way for the passer by. Where glittering jungle has a queen protector and tree wizard help her save the land from outsiders. Where music fairies sing in joy and birds join in to turn it into a concert. And I know a secret way …I am the Alice of that wonderland...
I think, in everyone, there is part which believes in magic and a magic land. At least a wish, if only there was one, a magic land where everything was fair and true and good. This wish or belief, whatever you name it, means that there is still hope, that flickers when challenged by wind of life’s hardship, but never is blew out.